This widget is designed to quickly connect (or reconnect) to any available and configured Wi-Fi network. It was developed as a quick work-around for those times when waking up the phone does not re-enable the Wi-Fi connection, even though it’s available and the Wi-Fi is enabled. Please note that it does not allow the connection to an unconfigured or hidden Wi-Fi network.
A simple click on the widget will enable the Wi-Fi (if it’s disabled), then reconnect on any available and configured Wi-Fi network. It’s as simple as that. And, it’s quicker than disabling the Wi-Fi, waiting for it to finish, then re-enabling it and waiting again (which was, until now, the quickest way to do it).
From version 1.3, you’ll even be able to add an entry in the notification bar, so you can trigger the reconnection operation without having to leave the application you’re in (assuming this application gives you access to the notification bar, naturally!).
If you don’t have access to Google Play, you can download the latest .apk file here.
This is a widget, and not an application. It needs to be added to your Home Screen:
- Long press an empty space on a home screen
- Select “Widgets”
- Select “Wifi Reconnect”
Latest version: 1.3.2, released on June 21, 2011
For Android versions: 1.5 and higher
- Brazilian Portuguese (thanks Paulo Braga)
- Nexus One, with Android 2.3.4
What’s coming next?
Here’s a quick “to-do” list for the next version(s):
- Auto-reconnect on wake-up
- Configure if it should or not enable wifi when it’s off
- Possibility to cancel an on-going reconnection
- Possibility to have a different icon for when connected vs. when not
- Possibility to have a widget corresponding to one specific network
1.3.2. June 21, 2011
- Bugfix: No more blank entry in the notification bar.
- Bugfix: Notification entry now shows correctly on Android 2.2 and prior.
1.3.1. June 18, 2011
- Added Brazilian Portuguese support (thanks Paulo Braga!).
- Clarified some UI and messages.
1.3 – June 8, 2011
- Now possible to trigger a reconnection through the notification bar.
1.2 – September 2, 2010
- Faster reconnection (for real this time!).
- Notifications and retry time-out are now configurable.
- Displays connected network name, if desired.
- Can also be launched as an application (useful for triggering from other apps).
1.1.1 – June 30, 2010
- Fixed regression from 1.1 (could not reconnect in some common cases).
1.1 – June 29, 2010
- Faster reconnection.
- Reconnection message now indicates the wifi SSID, when available.
- Scaled graphics for hdpi and ldpi devices.
- Bugfix: Does not display reconnection messages anymore, if it was triggered by a different process.
- Bugfix: Stops to search after one minute, if no valid wifi connection could be found.
1.0 – June 26, 2010
- First version.